Saturday, January 6, 2007

Gnocchi alla Sorrento

What I Made: Gnocchi alla Sorrentino from Mario Batali's recipe, made by my husband this time.
Why: This is so quick and easy to make and it's one of my husband's favorites.

What I Did: Mario makes his own potato gnocchi from scratch, but I buy mine frozen. He uses fresh buffalo mozzarella, I use regular cow's milk. He makes tomato sauce, I pour mine from a jar. As you can tell, I adapted his recipe for convenience.

1/2 lb. frozen gnocchi
2 cups tomato sauce
4 oz. mozzarella, cubed

Cook the gnocchi in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions. Meanwhile, heat the tomato sauce in another pot. When the gnocchi are done, transfer them into the sauce using a slotted spoon. Add the mozzarella cubes and stir occasionally over medium heat until melted (about 30 seconds). Serves 2.

Review: Makes a nice change from spaghetti.

No comments: